Creamy, delicious, and with a beautiful purple color- that’s how to describe Ube Halaya. We all know how tedious it is to prepare the grated ube so we are going to use ube powder instead, that we can easily buy from the grocery stores!
- 3/4 cup purple yam (ube) powder
- 1 1/2 cups fresh milk or evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- grated cheese, optional
- Place yam powder and milk in a saucepan; mix thoroughly. Add sugar, egg, and butter; simmer over low heat for about 1 hour. Stir constantly using a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and becomes elastic.
- Transfer the mixture into lightly greased containers with a lid; let cool to room temperature. Do not cover while still hot.
- When cooled, cover and chill in the refrigerator for about 3 hours; serve chilled in individual bowls.
- Top with grated cheese if desired. Enjoy your ube halaya!