- 1½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 Tbsp. baking soda
- 20 slices ginger
- 20 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/3 cup rice wine
- 1/3 cup dark soy sauce (regular soy sauce is ok too)
- 1/3 cup sesame oil
- 1½Tbsp. kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 large bunch Thai basil
- 4 stalks green onions, cut in 1” lengths
- Mix chicken with baking soda and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Rinse chicken well under running water, mix with a little salt and oil & set aside.
- Stir rice wine, soy sauce and kecap manis in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat sesame oil over medium-high heat.
- Stir-fry garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and cook until browned on all sides.
- Add remaining ingredients except basil and green onions.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- When sauce reduces to ¼ cup & reaches a syrupy consistency, garnish with basil & green onions.
Source: Chumkie’s Kitchen