- 1 kilo beef (for stewing, cut into cubes)
- 12 pcs sampaloc (tamarind)
- 2 onions (diced)
- 6 tomatoes (quartered)
- 2 pcs radish (sliced diagonally)
- 4 pieces gabi (yam, peeled and cubed)
- 2 pieces eggplant (sliced diagonally)
- 1 bundle sitaw (stringbeans, cut into 2″ length)
- 1 bundle kangkong leaves
- 4 pieces green sili
- 6 cups water
- salt and patis to taste
- Boil tamarind to soften. Pound and strain all juices and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring beef to a boil, lower fire and simmer for an hour or two until beef is tender. Take out all scum that rises to the surface.
- Add onions, tomatoes and tamarind juice, followed by gabi, and cook for a few minutes. Add in eggplant, sitaw and green sili.
- Season with salt and patis to taste. Add in kangkong leaves. Remove from heat and serve hot.
Source: Philippine Country Guide