- 350 grams medium-sized prawns, peeled & deveined
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 cup corn flour
- peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 to 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 to 5 Thai bird’s eye chilies, chopped
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh curry leaves
- 2 cooked salted duck egg yolks, mashed
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp chicken granules
- ¼ cup water
- Dip prawns into the beaten egg white. Then coat them with corn flour and set aside.
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying over moderate to high heat. When the oil is hot, add prawns and fry in two to 3 batches until light golden in color. When ready, remove and drain on paper towel.
- Make the sauce: Heat 1 Tbsp of peanut oil over medium heat, and melt the butter. Then mix in the garlic, chilies, curry leaves, and stir until fragrant. Add salted egg yolks, sugar, chicken granules, stir and mash until the mixture is foamy and fragrant. Add water and mix well until the sauce is creamy. Toss in the fried prawns. Mix and stir until all the prawns are coated with the salted egg yolk sauce. Remove and serve immediately.