You can make this super soft and moist sponge cake without using an oven. Yes, without using an oven because we will use rice cooker instead!
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp cornstarch
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- 4 tsp lemon juice/ half a lemon (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites. Place into 2 different bowls.
- Add lemon juice (optional) to the egg whites. It helps add a bit of citrusy flavor to the cake.
- Using a hand mixer, whisk the egg whites at low speed. Add sugar 3 times every 30 seconds and continue to whisk at low speed. When the sugar dissolved completely, adjust to high speed then whisk until smooth in texture.
- Add milk, vanilla extract (optional), and vegetable oil to the egg yolks. Gently whisk by hand until everything dissolves.
- Gently combine the egg white and yolk mixtures. Add flour and mix until the flour is fully incorporated. Do not over mix or it will make the cake become dense and chewy.
- Apply oil or melted butter to the bottom and sides of your rice cooker to prevent sticking. No need to use parchment paper.
- Pour the mixture to your rice cooker. Slightly tap to eliminate air bubbles.
- Turn on your rice cooker (put on cook mode until it turns to warm mode).
- Once it goes to warm mode, check with a toothpick to see if it is cooked. When the mixture sticks to the toothpick then put on cook mode again. When the toothpick comes out clean then it’s done. Cooking time depends on your rice cooker.
- Serve with coffee or milk and enjoy your rice cooker sponge cake!
You might like this recipe too: Easy Pancakes Recipe