Pork tocino is a popular Filipino dish that is made of cured meat. It is best served during breakfast together with garlic fried rice, sunny side-up egg, and fresh tomatoes. The process of making tocino is fairly easy, you should definitely try it!
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 1/4 inch thickness
- 1/4 cup vinegar, to add before frying (optional)
- cooking oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp kosher or table salt, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 head garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar or cane vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red food color, optional
- In a bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients together. Make sure to dissolve the sugar completely.
- Pour the marinade and knead it into the meat to completely absorb.
- Put in a covered food container and leave inside the refrigerator to cure for 2-3 days.
- When ready to cook, mix in the vinegar, then drain the excess liquid.
- Fry in cooking oil using medium heat.
- Serve with garlic fried rice, sunny side-up egg, and slices of tomatoes. Enjoy your pork tocino!
You might like this recipe too: How to Make Skinless Longganisa