Pancit Malabon is like an all-in-one pancit- rice noodles with delicious sauce and topped with fresh vegetables, seafood, and egg. It is one of the most flavorful pancit recipes you can try in the Philippines!
- 8 oz thick rice noodles or cornstarch noodles
- 1 1/2 pound shrimps, shelled and deveined, and cooked
- 1 1/2 pound squid, head separated, body cleaned and sliced
- 3 tbsp achuete (annato) seeds
- 3-4 stalks green onions, sliced fine
- 6 cloves garlic, minced and fried
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce or patis
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 3-4 eggs, boiled, shelled, and cut in wedges
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- Boil the noodles in water for 2-3 minutes or until the noodles are soft but not soggy. Drain the noodles and set them aside.
- In a small pan, steep the achuete seeds on the heated oil to extract the color. Strain then set aside. Put back 1 tablespoon of the achuete oil on the pan.
- Stir-fry the shrimps and squid for 1-2 minutes, then add a teaspoon of fish sauce. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, use a separate pan then boil the shrimp shells with water for 3-4 minutes. Strain and dispose of the shells. Thicken using the cornstarch mixture and add the remaining achuete oil.
- Assemble on a serving plate or bilao in this order: