- 1 large pork knuckle (about 2 lbs/1 kg)
- 8 cups (2 liters) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Filipino vinegar (suka) or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) black soy sauce
- 1/3 cup (60 g) brown sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup (35 g) dried banana heart or lily buds, rinsed and soaked in water until soft, or
- 2 cups (200 g) cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the pork in a large saucepan with the water, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, bay leaves and garlic, reduce the heat and simmer until the pork is tender and the sauce has thickened, about 45 minutes.
- Add the banana heart and simmer for another 30 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Source: Kusina 101