- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 in (5 cm) fresh ginger, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, cracked
- 11/3 cups (325 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Filipino vinegar (suka) or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (patis) or
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 finger-length green chilies (siling mahaba)
- 1 whole fish, cleaned and scaled, or
- 4 fish fillets (about 1 lb/500 g total) (sea bass, red snapper or mullet)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced, to garnish
- Bring the garlic, ginger, peppercorns, water and vinegar to a boil in a clay, enamel or non-reactive pot. Add the fish sauce and chilies, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the fish and oil and simmer, covered, until the fish is cooked, about 10 minutes. Garnish with freshly sliced spring onions and serve immediately.
Source: Kusina 101