- 1/2 cup medium sized shrimps, heads and skin removed (use the whole shrimp if you have small ones)
- 1 cup butternut squash, julienned or grated
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated or thinly sliced
- 1/8 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- a dash of ground black pepper
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 cup oil, for frying
1. In a bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, egg, garlic, water, fish sauce and pepper. Make sure the mixture is free of lumps then set aside.
2. Wash and peel the squash and carrot then grate them. If you do not have a grater, slice them thinly as possible. Slice the green onion thinly as well.
3. Add the grated squash & carrot, green onion and shrimps into the prepared mixture then mix well.
4. Heat cooking oil in a frying pan. With a slotted spoon, scoop some batter (allowing excess batter to drip off) and place in the pan like mini pancakes. Fry each side until light brown and crispy.
5. Drain excess oil from each Okoy fritter with a paper towel or strainer.
6. Serve and enjoy your okoy kalabasa!
Okoy is best served with vinegar dip, so you may also like to know this recipe>>> Vinegar Dip (Sukang Sawsawan) Recipe