This crispy fritter is made of squash, shrimps, carrot, garlic, and onion. Delicious and healthy indeed! Kids will love munching this not knowing it is made of vegetables.
- 1/2 cup medium-sized shrimps, heads and skin removed (use the whole shrimp if you have small ones)
- 1 cup butternut squash, julienned or grated
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated or thinly sliced
- 1/8 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- a dash of ground black pepper
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 cup oil, for frying
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, egg, garlic, water, fish sauce, and pepper. Make sure the mixture is free of lumps then set aside.
- Wash and peel the squash and carrot then grate them. If you do not have a grater, slice them thinly as possible. Slice the green onion thinly as well.
- Add the grated squash & carrot, green onion, and shrimps into the prepared mixture then mix well.
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan. With a slotted spoon, scoop some batter (allowing excess batter to drip off) and place in the pan like mini pancakes. Fry each side until light brown and crispy.
- Drain excess oil from each Okoy fritter with a paper towel or strainer.
- Serve and enjoy your okoy kalabasa!
Okoy is best served with vinegar dip, so you may also like to know this recipe>>> Vinegar Dip (Sukang Sawsawan) Recipe