This recipe is not related to the Count of Monte Cristo. It is actually a hybrid between French toast and ham and cheese sandwich. Who loves both? We do! If you are like us, then you would probably love this recipe here, which has the Filipino taste and style. The sandwich got its name from its being a variation of croque monsieur, a French grilled cheese sandwich that consists of Gruyere cheese with a layer of lean ham between two slices of crustless bread.
So how does this sandwich here differ from croque monsieur? Monte Cristo is supposed to have the whole sandwich dipped into an egg batter. However, in our recipe here, instead of dipping the whole bread, you will brush the batter on the top, bottom, and sides of the sandwich. It still does the work.
This sandwich is a good, savory breakfast choice. Pair it with your favorite morning drink and you are about to enjoy a peaceful meal-one that fills your stomach and senses! Or if you are running late, then bring it for your meryenda. This one will surely attract colleagues. No need to go to the nearest 7-11 stores for sandwich of this kind. You can have them from home, and you will be even sure to use the best ingredients available. And you can even try more than three layers of sandwich. Well, as long as it will fit your mouth.
This recipe is easy. You can also try teaching it to kids so that they will know how to make theirs when you are not around. Prepare it with them, and they will learn their way around. Enjoy!
Monte Cristo is the best fried ham and cheese sandwich ever! You can easily make it with this Pinoy-style recipe! Perfect for breakfast and snack time!
Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe Video:
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more awesome recipe videos!
- 3 slices white bread
- 2 slices ham, cooked
- 2 pcs eggs
- 6 tbsp cheese, grated
- 3 tsp plain mayonnaise
- salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5 tsp evaporated milk
- Remove the crust of each white bread.
- Spread mayo on each slice of bread.
- Spread grated cheese on each slice of bread.
- Make a 3 layer sandwich by putting a slice of ham in between the slices of bread.
- Apply some pressure to the sandwich using a spatula or back of a spoon. This is to flatten and make the sandwich intact. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, evaporated milk, and salt. Mix well.
- Brush the mixture on top, bottom, and sides of the sandwich.
- In a pan, melt the butter.
- Fry the sandwich until top and bottom part is golden brown. Toss some melted butter on the sides.
- Remove from heat. Slice the sandwich into two.
- Serve with your favorite drink. Enjoy your Monte Cristo sandwich!
You might like this recipe too: Hotdog Rolls Recipe