You don’t have to be a sushi master to make your favorite California Maki at home! Learn it now in this recipe video!
California Maki Recipe Video:
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more awesome recipe videos!
- 12 thin slices of mango, about 3 inches long
- 12 thin slices of cucumber, about 4 inches long
- 12 thin slices of crab sticks
- 3 tbsp sake vinegar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cups cooked Japanese rice
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 sheet nori wrapper
- Bamboo rolling mat covered in plastic wrap (material needed)
PREPARATION OF SUSHI RICE:
- In a small bowl, combine the sake vinegar, rice vinegar and sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the vinegar-sugar mixture into the Japanese rice. Mix until the mixture is completely absorbed by the rice. Set aside.
MAKING THE MAKI:
- On a flat surface, place the nori wrapper on top of the bamboo rolling mat.
- Wet your fingers with water then spread the sushi rice evenly onto to the nori wrapper.
- Place at least 2-3 slices each of mango, cucumber and crab sticks on the bottom part of the nori wrapper.
- Grab the edge of the mat closest to you, keeping the fillings in place with your fingers, and roll it into a tight cylinder, using the mat to shape the cylinder. Pull away the mat and set aside.
- Trim the edge of the rolled sushi then cut the cylinder in half using a sharp knife.
- Slice each half crosswise into three equal pieces.
- Repeat steps 3-8 until all the sushi rice is consumed.
- Serve with wasabi and soy sauce.
You might like this recipe too: Chowking-Style Chao Fan