- 12 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 can (354 mL) evaporated milk (or whole milk)
- 1 can (410 mL) condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- water, for steaming
For the caramel:
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- Prepare individual llanera (or two 9 x 2 in. / 23 x 5 cm. flan molds); set aside.
- Prepare the Caramel: In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil; reduce the heat to low before adding the sugar. Stir continuously for about 2 minutes or until the sugar caramelizes or turns amber. Immediately pour the caramelized sugar into prepared individual flan molds. Swirl the flan molds to evenly spread the caramel. Set the molds aside.
- Prepare the steamer. Place a steamer in a large saucepan or a wok. Pour in water to just below the steamer; bring to boil.
- In a bowl, combine evaporated milk, condensed milk, sugar and vanilla. Gently pass the beaten eggs through a strainer into the bowl. Stir to combine and mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture into the prepared flan molds containing the caramel.
- Cover the molds with aluminum foil, arrange into the steamer (water should already boiling before placing the molds inside); steam for 30 minutes or until firm. Set aside to cool and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To serve: Run a knife along the edges of the flan molds to loosen. For individual flans, turn the molds over onto a platter or individual plates. For a larger flans, place a platter on top of the mold; holding the platter tightly to the mold, quickly turn upside down. The flan should come out easily with the caramel on top.
- Serves 6 to 8. Enjoy this amazing dessert!