Try this easy recipe of savory honey chicken!
- 1.5 kg chicken legs and thighs
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil, divided into 2 portions
- 1/2 head of garlic, minced
- 1 can (240ml) pineapple juice
- 5 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp white cane vinegar (apple cider vinegar works too)
- 2 pcs star anise
- ½ cup honey (or more), to taste
- Dash of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 3 tbsp of vegetable oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Sear the chicken on both sides, until it begins to brown, around 5–10 minutes on each side. You might need to do this in batches.
- Make the sauce: Heat the remaining 3 tbsp oil in a large saucepan (large enough to hold the chicken pieces as well) over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and allow to fry until fragrant but not burnt. Add the pineapple juice and the cornstarch mixture. Mix well.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and stir everything together over medium heat until the sauce thickens. Adjust the seasoning to your preference.
- Lower the heat and add in the chicken and cook, covered, for 30–45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked tender.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, increase the heat to high and cook until the sauce has reduced, thickened, and is slightly sticky. Frequently stir everything together to stop it from burning.
- When done, remove from heat and serve warm. Enjoy your honey chicken!
Source : The Hungry Giant