Barbecue sauce is a popular condiment used for grilled and smoked meats, vegetables, and other dishes. When it comes to making barbecue sauce, the possibilities are endless. Most recipes call for some combination of tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and spices. Common spices used in barbecue sauce include onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and black pepper. Many recipes also include a sweetener, such as honey or molasses, for a balanced flavor.
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
Yield: 3 cups
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- Heat oil over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add garlic, onion, and ginger. Sauté until the onion becomes semitransparent.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Reduce heat to a low simmer and continue cooking for 25 minutes.
- Enjoy your barbecue sauce with your favorite grilled dish!
You might like this recipe too: Grilled Pork Belly Recipe