Callos is a dish adapted by Filipinos from the Spanish. It is a stew made with beef tripe, sausage, and vegetables cooked in tomato sauce.
- 2 lbs. beef tripe
- 4 pcs. Chinese sausages, sliced diagonally
- 1 (16 oz.) can pork and beans
- 6 to 8 pcs. small bell peppers (green and red), sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. green onions, chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 3 tbsps. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. whole peppercorn
- salt to taste
- Cook the beef tripe in a pressure cooker for 50 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- In a cooking pot, heat oil then sauté the onion. Add the whole peppercorn and cook until the onion get soft.
- Add the cooked beef tripe. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Put-in the Chinese sausages. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour-in the tomato sauce and the beef broth then stir. Let boil then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the pork and beans then stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the bell peppers. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic powder and salt to taste. Stir.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with chopped green onions.
- Serve and enjoy your callos!
You might like this recipe too: Creamy Beef Bulalo Recipe