Fresh cabbage stuffed with ground beef in tomato sauce is definitely delicious!
For the Filling:
- 8-10 cabbage leaves
- 1 lb of lean ground beef
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of rice
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 beaten egg
- cheese of your choice for toppings
For the Sauce:
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of ketchup
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
- Boil a large pot of salted water.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and milk. Combine ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and rice.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice. Mix until it’s well combined.
- Cutting deeply at a 45-degree angle, remove the core of the cabbage. Place it in the boiling water and allow it to boil for 5 minutes. Using tongs, remove 8 – 10 leaves. Allow the leaves to cool completely.
- Lay out a cabbage leaf and scoop about 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) of the mixture in. Roll it up.
- Pour a layer of sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish. Place the cabbage rolls in, side by side, and cover them with the remaining sauce. Place a lid, or a piece of aluminum foil, on the dish. Place it in a 350-degree F preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and grate your favorite cheese on top. Serve, and enjoy your cabbage rolls!
You might like this recipe too: Cabbage & Apple Salad Recipe